Britain Scotland lgbt transgender Britain Scotland

Rights group says LGBT campaigners trying to revoke its independent status have 'wrong target'

Reading now: 549

LGBT organisations, including Stonewall, claim the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is working to remove legal protections for trans people.They have presented a 19-page submission to the UN asking for the independent status of the body to be reviewed.But EHRC chief executive Marcial Boo said: "Stonewall and other critics are aiming at the wrong target."The LGBT groups criticised the EHRC's recent intervention in the Scottish government's bid to reform the Gender Recognition Act (GRA) and its response to the consultation on banning conversion therapy in England and Wales.Scottish government ministers have tabled proposals to make it easier for people to change their legally recognised gender, with a Bill expected at Holyrood this year.But the EHRC had recommended "further consideration is needed before any change to the law should be made".

Buildings for all: Women pioneers in the construction industry Freedom to express: Teaching children about race, religion and respect Coronavirus: Watchdog to investigate racial inequalities in British COVID-19 deaths And in its response to the conversion therapy consultation, it recommended that legislation should initially focus on sexual orientation, and rules on transgender conversion therapy should follow "once more detailed and evidence-based proposals are available which can be properly scrutinised".The groups maintained the EHRC statements "not only reverse their long-held positions but are in stark contrast to international human rights standards".It went on: "The EHRC's stance seeks to strip trans people of legal protections and pose a grave threat to the ability of trans people to participate in daily life with dignity and respect."'Deeply troubled'But EHRC chief.

The website is an aggregator of news from open sources. The source is indicated at the beginning and at the end of the announcement. You can send a complaint on the news if you find it unreliable.

Related News