county Castro: Last News

+6

SF police investigating reported bomb threats to LYRIC as hate crime

San Francisco police are investigating two recent telephoned bomb threats against queer youth organization LYRIC, located in the Castro LGBTQ neighborhood, as possible hate crimes.LYRIC received the first bomb threat April 29, forcing the organization's youth clients and staff members to leave the Purple House building in the Castro that serves as its offices. A second threat, 24 days later, followed at 3:30 p.m., May 23, as after-school programs were underway, said Adam Michael Royston, communications director for the nonprofit, in a telephone interview with the Bay Area Reporter.
ebar.com

Related News

ebar.com
Coalition of leaders wants more info on Castro Theatre changes
A group describing themselves as "a coalition of community stakeholders concerned about the future of the Castro Theatre" have written Gregg Perloff, chief executive officer of Another Planet Entertainment, to express their concerns about the future of the theater.Another Planet is the Berkeley-based concert promotion company that assumed management of the fabled cinema earlier this year."We are very concerned that changes being made without the input of the Castro LGBTQ Cultural District will result in the erasure or drastic reduction of queer culture in the Castro Theatre," the letter stated. Dated April 12, the letter expresses concern about "the probable loss of regular film programming, sing-alongs, world-class film festivals, and low-cost rentals accessible to specialty producers like Mark Huestis and Peaches Christ beyond this calendar year." Furthermore, it details additional concerns about preservation of the historic theater along with its organ, the movie screen, "a century's worth of ephemera worthy of cataloging," and various other matters.In a news release to the Bay Area Reporter which accompanied the letter, cultural district manager Tina Valentin Aguirre, a genderqueer Latinx person, said that APE had refused to meet with them."It's been really disappointing to experience Another Planet Entertainment's erasure of film and queer culture in the Castro Theatre while refusing to meet with us or respond with substantive answers to detailed concerns that we have presented to them privately and now publicly," Aguirre stated.
ebar.com
Suspect in 1st Castro Theatre burglary accused of 2nd break-in
In an encore performance, a man arrested for suspicion of breaking into the Castro Theatre March 29 was arrested again, April 1, for allegedly breaking into the historic movie palace days later, authorities said.Gary Marx, 38, was taken into custody just before 5 p.m. Friday, a normally busy time in the Castro, after police were "flagged down at the scene by a witness who pointed out the male who was trying to break in," according to a news release from the San Francisco Police Department. Marx was one of three men arrested earlier in the week for allegedly breaking into the historic cinema. Along with Nicholas Degrego, 25, and Jason Kilbourne, 32, Marx was apprehended inside the cinema March 29 after one of them was spotted by SFPD officers on routine patrol around 6:30 a.m. Kilbourne is still being held on a $30,000 bond and is next expected to appear in court April 5.Degrego was released into assertive case management shortly after his arrest. Marx was released into assertive case management in both incidents, said Robyn Burke, a spokesperson with the San Francisco District Attorney's office. He is expected to face arraignment on April 5, as well, for his earlier arrest.Marx is being charged with second-degree burglary, possession of burglary tools, and vandalism of more than $400, according to Burke. The cost of damages to the theater from the first break-in is $30,000, said Mary Conde, vice president of Another Planet Entertainment, which recently took over management of the theater. The costs for the second, most recent break-in is $15,000, she stated.
DMCA